It’s incredibly easy to cook boneless chicken in the microwave. These Boneless Chicken Thighs in the microwave take just minutes, and then you have chicken ready to put so many things – enchiladas, casseroles, soup! It’s so versatile. You can make them ahead of time and freeze for later or keep in the fridge for a few days. This post contains affiliate links.
You can do so many things with a chicken breast. You can shred it for all kinds of things from burritos to tacos to chicken salad. You can chop it up to add to a quick stir fry or in a salad. So many things!
What do you need to make boneless chicken thighs in the microwave?
- boneless chicken thighs
You’ll also want a meat thermometer.
You can season the chicken with whatever you like, but I just use salt and pepper.
If you want to flavor them up you can use things like Italian seasoning, seasoning salt, taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, garlic and onion powders. Just sprinkle on whatever you’d like, and make sure you do it on both sides.
Use a microwave-safe baking dish with a glass lid. Some people prefer to just cover a microwave-safe baking dish with plastic wrap or wax paper over the top.
I don’t like to use plastic wrap in the microwave as there have been studies that show it actually melts and drips into the food. So, I stick with a CorningWare Casserole Dish that has a glass lid. It’s really versatile and you can cook so many things in it in the microwave.
How do you cook chicken thighs in the microwave?
Season the chicken thighs, both sides, however you’d like. I just use a few shakes of salt and pepper on each side.
Add water to the baking dish until the entire bottom is covered. You don’t want too much water. to drown the chicken. Just enough to cover the bottom.
When you buy boneless chicken breasts, they usually are rolled up and look thicker, but when you’re cooking them in the microwave, lay them as flat as you can. This will speed up the cooking process.
Place the chicken thighs flat in the baking dish and cover with the glass lid (or plastic wrap or wax paper).
Cook on HIGH in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes for 2 boneless chicken thighs. If you are doubling this recipe, cook 4 chicken thighs for 7-8 minutes.
I have a 1500 watt microwave. If you have a lower wattage microwave, you will probably need additional time. Just go slow and check the meat temperature every 3-5 minutes.
Safe temperature for chicken is over 165 F degrees.
I usually start with 5 minutes and insert the meat thermometer in the center of each chicken breast and check the temperature. Usually, two chicken thighs are over 165 F degrees at after 5 minutes of cooking in the microwave.
Once the chicken is done, either remove it from the baking dish if you’re not planning to shred it. If you want to shred it, let it cool for 5-10 minutes before shredding. I find it’s harder to shred when it’s super hot.
Can you freeze the cooked chicken thighs?
Yes you can! I do this all the time.
If you’re preparing the chicken ahead of time, I like to wrap each chicken thigh individually in unbleached parchment paper and store in freezer bags in the freezer. Then, I just pull out one chicken thigh at a time and defrost in the microwave for 45 seconds to a 1 minute, until it’s hot.
Can you store the cooked chicken thighs in the fridge?
Yes you can, but it doesn’t last as long as freezing. I only store it in the fridge for a couple of days maximum. I prepare it the same way with wrapping each chicken thigh individually in unbleached parchment paper and store it in freezer or storage ziplock bags. Then, I reheat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, until warm.
More Recipes for Chicken Thighs
- The BEST Microwave Chicken Casserole with Ritz Crackers
- Single Serving Cheddar Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Chicken Fried Rice in the Microwave
- Salsa Chicken in the Microwave
- Microwave Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Microwave Chicken Enchiladas
Recipes to Serve with Chicken Thighs
- How to Steam Frozen Broccoli in the Microwave
- The Secret to AMAZING Mashed Potatoes in the Microwave
- How to make Fresh Corn in the Microwave
- How to make Microwave Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- How to Steam Raw Broccoli in the Microwave
- How to make Asparagus in the Microwave
- Microwave Refried Beans
- How to Make Cornbread Dressing in a Mug
- How to Make Quick Microwave Cornbread
- 2 boneless chicken thighs
- water to fill bottom of dish
- Optional: additional spices
- Season the chicken thighs, both sides, however you'd like. I just use a few shakes of salt and pepper on each side.
- Add water to the baking dish until the entire bottom is covered. You don't want too much water.
- Place the chicken thighs FLAT in the baking dish and cover with the glass lid (or plastic wrap or wax paper).
- Cook on HIGH in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes.
- At 5 minutes insert the meat thermometer in the center of each chicken thigh and check the temperature. Safe temperature for chicken is over 165 F degrees.
- Once the chicken is done, remove from the baking dish and prepare your chicken as desired. You can chop it, shred it, cut into chunks, or even eat it as is.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 495mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 28g
Any nutritional information on justmicrowaveit.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.