Need a simple side dish for dinner that tastes amazing? Try this easy to make Microwave Loaded Cauliflower Casserole using frozen cauliflower! This post contains affiliate links.
If you want a healthier alternative to loaded potatoes or mac n cheese, you are gonna love this cauliflower casserole!
What to serve with Microwave Loaded Cauliflower?
This recipe goes great with so many main dishes like Microwave Meatloaf, Microwave Chicken Breasts, Microwave Hamburgers, and even another casserole like The BEST Microwave Chicken Casserole with Ritz Crackers.
Need some more side dish ideas? Here’s a few all made right in the microwave:
- How to make Fresh Corn in the Microwave
- Microwave Green Bean Casserole
- The Secret to AMAZING Mashed Potatoes in the Microwave
What ingredients do you need for Microwave Loaded Cauliflower Casserole?
You might have most of these ingredients, apart from the frozen cauliflower, already in your pantry and fridge.
- frozen cauliflower – I prefer to buy plain ol’ frozen cauliflower. You could also use riced cauliflower for more of a mac n cheese type casserole. Or, you could use a head of fresh cauliflower that’s been washed.
- cream cheese, softened – If it’s not softened, you can quickly do this by heating it in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- black pepper
- yellow mustard – Just basic regular ol’ mustard
- shredded cheddar – I have found that the bite of sharp or extra sharp cheddar is the best for this, but I have also made it with colby, colby jack, and even medium cheddar.
- paprika – regular or smoked, either is fine
- bacon bits – You can also microwave 2-3 bacon strips and crumble them
- green onions
How do you make Microwave Loaded Cauliflower Casserole?
Place the cauliflower in a microwave-safe 1.5 QT casserole dish with a small amount of water just to barely cover the bottom of the dish. You just want enough water to steam the veggies.
If you’re using fresh cauliflower, make sure to cut the entire head up into cauliflower florets.
Cover and cook for 9-10 minutes. If using riced cauliflower, I would cut that time down to about 5-7 minutes. Also, if you prefer firmer cauliflower, you can cut the time down to 5-7 minutes. But, we like it a little soft, so I find 9-10 minutes works best.
Let the cauliflower stand for about 5-7 minutes.
In a separate microwave-safe bowl combine butter, cream cheese, half the shredded cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper. Give it a good mix up, and microwave for 1 minute.
When it comes out of the microwave, stir it up until it’s pretty smooth. If the cheese isn’t melted, that’s okay. The cheese will melt from the steamed cauliflower.
Coat the cauliflower with the cheese mixture and stir it up gently.
Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and the paprika over the top of the cauliflower.
Microwave for 1 minute, uncovered. If cheese is not completely melted, heat for an additional 30 seconds.
Top with bacon bits and chives or green onions.
What Substitutions can I use in the Microwave Loaded Cauliflower Casserole?
- Cream Cheese – I prefer cream cheese the best, but there are substitutions you can switch out for the cream cheese.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Cheddar Cheese – Sharp or Extra Sharp is best because it gives a bite to the flavor. But, there are a few cheeses that would work.
- medium cheddar
- cheddar jack
- colby jack
- muenster cheese
- Green Onions – I like the flavor of thinly sliced green onions, but there are other options.
- Diced Onions
- Dried Chopped Onion
Microwave Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- 12 oz bag frozen cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1 teaspoon of chives or slivers of green onions
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave-safe 1.5 QT casserole dish with a small amount of water just to barely cover the bottom of the dish.
- Cover and cook for 9-10 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl combine butter, cream cheese, half the shredded cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir until smooth.
- Coat cauliflower with cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and the paprika and microwave for 1 minute. If cheese is not completely melted, heat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Top with bacon bits and chives or green onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 352mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g
Any nutritional information on justmicrowaveit.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Loved this post? Follow along for more recipes at Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram!