Do you ever want something to go along with a bowl of soup? It’s so easy to just heat up a bowl of soup like Campbell’s or Progesso in the microwave. This is where microwave cornbread comes in as a fast side dish.
Cornbread is so good crumbled over a savory soup or stew. And, it’s simple and quick to make and tastes like you just made it in the oven.
What do you need to make cornbread in the microwave?
I have a love for Jiffy cornbread mix because I like my cornbread to be sweeter, and it’s the sweetest mix I’ve found.
You’ll also need an egg and some milk or half and half.
If you want to make your cornbread a little fancy such as adding jalapenos or cheese, you can make this basic recipe for cornbread and add those mixins as you’d like.
How do you make Cornbread in the Microwave?
This recipe has more milk than the recipe on the box. This makes the cornbread stay soft and not dry out too much in the microwave.
Combine the egg and milk with the Jiffy mix and let it sit for a few minutes. It will rise and be a bit bubbly.
Then transfer the mix to the microwave-safe dish.
I find it works best to microwave on 50% for 7 minutes. This is with a 1500-watt microwave.
At that point, if your cornbread looks a little wet, I like to microwave it on 100% for one more minute to finish it off. With my 1500-watt microwave, I usually do this 1 minute additional cook time.
It’s done when it looks done and a little spongey.
When I can see a couple of the sides pull away from the the edges, I know it’s ready.
Then, I slice it into 9 pieces and serve immediately. My kids love it and can’t tell the difference in whether I make the cornbread in the microwave or the oven.
What kind of mixins can you add to cornbread?
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/3 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) and 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup diced jalapenos (reduce milk to 1/3 cup and add 2 tablespoons of jalapeno juice.
Recipe to go with Microwave Cornbread
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes in the Microwave
- Microwave Meatloaf
- How to make Microwave Iced Tea
- Sweet Potato in the Microwave
- 1 package of Jiffy cornbread
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Grease an 8 x 8 microwave-safe casserole dish
- Combine the Jiffy mix, egg, and milk.
- Stir until well combined.
- Pour into the microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at 50% for 7 minutes.
- Microwave at 100% for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
Feel free to add mixins like cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, or diced jalapenos to flavor your cornbread.