Did you know you can make delicious fresh strawberry preserves right in the microwave? It’s very easy to do, and it tastes wonderful on so many things from ice cream to toast to angel food cake. This post contains affiliate links.
Table of Contents
What do you need to make Strawberry Preserves in the Microwave?
It takes about 2 cups of strawberries to fill up a pint mason jar of strawberry preserves.
You’ll also need lemon juice and white sugar.
How do you make Strawberry Preserves in the Microwave?
I usually make strawberry preserves in the microwave when I’ve had strawberries sitting too long in the fridge. So, I start with strawberries that are getting kinda old. I cut off all the bad parts and slice them up.
I make this recipe with about 2 cups of strawberries at a time. That is the perfect amount to fill up one pint size mason jar.
Make sure to use a large microwave-safe bowl because the mixture will bubble up and boil in the microwave.
Start by adding 1/2 cup of sugar to the strawberries and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. You can use fresh lemon juice or jarred. I like to use Santa Cruz Organic Lemon Juice.
Once it’s mixed all together, it’s ready for the microwave.
You are going to microwave for 5 minutes at a time. You’re looking for a thickened syrup feel to it when you mix it up. It took me about 15 minutes – three 5 minute increments to get that point.
If you watch the video, you can see the consistency towards the end is thicker. Once it cools, it will cool into typical jam and preserves.
Depending on the microwave, it might take you longer to get that syrupy thickness. I recommend going to 2-3 minute increments after doing three 5 minute rounds.
Once it’s reached that thickness, transfer it to a clean mason jar and screw the lid and ring on and pop it in the fridge.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Blueberry Pancake in a Mug
- 3 Minute Microwave Fudge
- How to make Microwave Iced Tea
- Microwave Peanut Brittle
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash and slice the strawberries.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl mix in the sugar and lemon juice with the strawberries.
- Heat for 5 minutes and stir.
- Heat for another 5 minutes and stir and check for syrupy consistency.
- Heat for an additional 5 minutes and check for syrupy consistency.
- If it's still runny, heat for 2-3 minute increments; then stir and check for syrupy consistency.
- When it reaches the syrup consistency, transfer to a clean mason jar and seal with lid and ring.
- Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 31Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 0g
Any nutritional information on justmicrowaveit.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.