This easy 3 2 1 Mug Cake Mix is perfect to tuck into a care package or a teacher gift! It’s a jar of mix that makes a quick little cake in a mug.
This is perfect to send to college dorm with the kids because it just needs water and a microwave!
What do you need to make this 3 2 1 Microwave Mug Cake Mix?
You need two cake mixes.
- Angel Food Cake mix
- Any other cake mix!
I like to mix this with a fudge cake mix or a devil’s food cake mix myself.
How do you make this 3 2 1 Microwave Mug Cake?
I mix the two cake mixes together in a large bowl or a large ziplock bag.
To make the cake, you need a mug that’s at least 10 to 12 oz or so because the cake puffs up while cooking.
Then, you’ll measure out 3 tablespoons of the mix and combine that with 2 tablespoons of water for 60 seconds in the microwave.
This is why it’s called 3 2 1 Mug Cake – because 3 tablespoons mix, 2 tablespoons water, and 1 minute in the microwave.
Mug Cake Mason Jar Gifts
Once the two cake mixes are combined, fill up 3-4 pin-sized mason jars with mix.
You can also buy smaller plastic mason jars at the Dollar Tree that are about 8 oz and get more jars out of two mixes.
Print the stickers on sticker paper and cut the SVG file with your favorite machine – Cricut or Silhouette.
Place a sticker on the top of each lid with the easy instructions.
Print the gift tags with cardstock.
Decorate each jar with ribbon and attach the gift tags.
Get the Files
Scroll to the bottom of the page and get the free printable stickers and gift tags!
Tips for making this low calorie Microwave Cake
- Spray your mug with nonstick spray to prevent the cake from sticking to the mug.
- Stir the water and cake mix together really well so that the mixture is smooth. The angel food cake mix will cause it to bubble which is fine.
- Your cake may take more or less than 60 seconds depending on the wattage of your microwave. 1 minute is the perfect time in my 1500-watt microwave, but it might need extra time in a lower wattage microwave.
- Eat this mug cake right from the mug or allow it to cool for a couple of minutes and then turn out onto a bowl or plate.
- It doesn’t look like much, but it’s a delicious low calorie treat when you want something sweet!
Mug Cake Variations
This is the perfect recipe for changing up the cake flavors or adding additions to this recipe.
- Use any flavor of cake mix you enjoy: chocolate, white, yellow, lemon, spice, funfetti, spice, carrot, strawberry, etc.
- You can totally add 2 to 3 teaspoons of any of the following additions to the cake batter before cooking: chocolate chips, finely chopped dried fruit, finely chopped nuts, sprinkles, fresh berries.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Make a Lava Cake by placing a small piece of chocolate in the middle of the cake before microwaving.
- Make a Caramel Apple Cake by adding a little bit of chopped dried apple to the cake before microwaving and then after it’s baked top with a drizzle of caramel or dulce de leche sauce.
- Make a Cherry Orange Nut Cake into yellow or white 3-2-1 cake mix by stirring in chopped nuts, dried cherries, and orange zest before microwaving.
- Top your favorite cake with fresh fruit and whipped cream for a tasty shortcake.
- Drizzle finished cake with chocolate syrup, hot fudge, dulce de leche, or caramel sauce.
- Add a dollop of your favorite Pillsbury frosting in the premade pastry bags.
- Spread with layer of your favorite canned icing, cookie butter, or Nutella.
More Mug Dessert Recipes
- Unicorn Mug Cake
- No Egg Chocolate Mug Cake for Two
- Banana Bread in a Mug
- Blueberry Pancake in a Mug
- 25 Microwave Desserts
- 1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
- 1 box of any other cake mix
- 2 tablespoons cake mix
- 1 tablespoon water
Cake Mix Instructions
Combine 1 box of Angel Food Cake Mix with 1 box of any other flavor cake mix.
Transfer into pint-sized mason jars.
Combine 2 tablespoons of cake mix and 1 tablespoon of water and mix thoroughly.
Heat for 50-60 seconds in the microwave.
Top with your favorite topping - whipped cream, frosting, Nutella, etc.