My kids love lasagna for dinner. That’s why I have an easy microwaveable short cut version with my 3-ingredient Lazy Man Lasagna. This post contains affiliate links.
This recipe is so easy even the kids can help with dinner and put it together in no time!
What do you need to make Microwave Cheesy Ravioli Lasagna with Meat Sauce?
It’s just 4 ingredients! All you need is:
- a bag of frozen cheese ravioli
- 1/2 lb ground beef – which you can easily cook in the microwave
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 45 oz jar of meat sauce
If you are good at preparing ahead of time, which definitely isn’t always me, then pop the bag of frozen ravioli in the refrigerator to defrost the night before. This cuts down on the cook time in the microwave.
But, this step is not necessary as you can cook this recipe from frozen ravioli.
How do you make the Microwave Cheesy Ravioli Lasagna with Meat Sauce?
I like to make my cheesy ravioli lasagna with meat sauce. So, I cook about 1/2 lb of ground beef in the microwave before I put the lasagna together. Then, I mix the meat up into the sauce before I begin putting the lasagna together.
I also like to use a Corningware Casserole dish with a glass lid. The 2 1/2 qt size is perfect to make this lasagna, and the glass lid keeps everything from splattering without having to use something like plastic wrap. Tomato sauce LOVES to splatter in the microwave.
To layer the lasagna start with a couple tablespoons of the meat sauce and spread it all over the bottom of the dish. Add a single layer of ravioli. Top that layer with more meat sauce and the some mozzarella cheese.
Then, you’ll begin again with a new layer of ravioli, then sauce, then cheese, etc.
Quick Tip for the Microwave Cheesy Ravioli Lasagna with Meat Sauce
The secret to cooking this recipe in the microwave is making sure there’s enough sauce to let the ravioli cook well. You definitely want to cover all the ravioli with sauce and adding a little bit of water really helps this.
If you’re running out of the sauce when you get to the last layer, add 1/2 cup of hot water to the spaghetti sauce jar and shake it up really good. Then pour it over the ravioli. (leave off the last layer of mozzarella cheese until later)
How do you cook Microwave Cheesy Ravioli Lasagna with Meat Sauce
I recommend leaving off the top most layer of mozzarella cheese until the last bit of microwave cooking because this lasagna will need to cook for about 20 minutes or so if you’re using the ravioli straight from the freezer.
If they are defrosted, you’ll need to cook for about 15 minutes or so.
I cook in 10-minute increments, check the temperature, and then decide much additional time to cook.
If you add the top layer of cheese at the beginning of the cooking, it can get really hard and burn when you microwave it for that long.
When I buy cheese ravioli, it recommends the internal temperature of the ravioli should be 165 F degrees. I use a kitchen thermometer and check the temperature of the casserole at different points during the microwaving process. To check the temperature, insert the temperature in a ravioli that is in the center of the casserole.
I love using a kitchen thermometer. I use one to check internal temperatures all the time, especially for meat.
Once the internal temperature is achieved, add the top layer of mozzarella cheese and microwave or an additional 45 seconds to 1 minute, until it’s melty, and you’re done!
Thawed vs. Frozen Ravioli
With a microwave, cook time will vary. This is also true if you’re using thawed or frozen ravioli.
If you thawed the ravioli in the fridge ahead of time so it’s not rock hard frozen, this will cut down on cook time for the lasagna. Check the temperature of the casserole after about 10 minutes in the microwave. And, if the temperature is close, like 145-150 F degrees, microwave for another 3-5 minutes.
If you are using frozen solid ravioli, then you’ll probably need to microwave the lasagna for 18-20 minutes. Start with 15 minutes and check the temperature. If it’s 110-120 F, then don’t add the cheese yet, just put it back in the microwave for 7-8 minutes and check again. If it’s close, such as 145-150 F degrees and microwave for another 3-5 minutes.
Boiled Ravioli Option
Another option is boiling the ravioli BEFORE putting the lasagna together. You can do this in the microwave. This will greatly cut down on the time for cooking the entire lasagna AND you can skip the entire part about checking the internal temperature of the casserole.
Your lasagna can cook in just 5-8 minutes.
To cook the ravioli in the microwave ahead of time:
- Place one bag of frozen ravioli into a microwave-safe large bowl
- Add 2 1/2 cups water
- Cover it with vented plastic wrap
- Microwave on High for 10 minutes, stirring once halfway through the time
Microwave Cheesy Ravioli Lasagna with Meat Sauce with Boiled Ravioli
Once the ravioli have been boiled, drain the water and prepare the casserole the exact same way as if you were using the frozen ravioli.
Go ahead and add the last layer of mozzarella cheese. Then, cook the lasagna for 5-6 minutes on HIGH. Add the mozzarella cheese and cook for an additional 45 seconds to 1 minute, and it’s done!
Can you make this Microwave Cheesy Ravioli Lasagna with Meat Sauce with Fresh Ravioli?
Yes, you can. If you are using fresh ravioli, you can use the boil method mentioned above. Or, you can use the method for “thawed ravioli” and make sure to check the internal temperature as fresh ravioli is uncooked and will need to reach 165 F degrees.
How do you store leftovers of the 3-Ingredient Lazy Lasagna?
This is a great casserole to portion out for meal prep for the week into separate containers for the fridge.
For leftovers, just put it in a sealed container for up to 5 days in the fridge. Reheat portions as necessary.
More Easy Microwave Casseroles
- Easy Homemade Microwave Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- The BEST Microwave Chicken Casserole
- Microwave Chicken Tamale Casserole
- Microwave Smothered Burrito Casserole
- Microwave Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole
More Italian Recipes for the Microwave
- Garlic Butter Sauce in the Microwave
- Microwave Baked Ziti Pasta for One
- How to make 5-Minute Shrimp Pasta with Red Sauce
- Angel Hair Pasta in the Microwave
Microwave Cheesy Ravioli Lasagna with Meat Sauce
- 25 oz bag frozen cheese ravioli
- 45 oz jar spaghetti sauce with meat
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- Cook the hamburger meat and add to sauce.
- Layer 2 tablespoons of sauce in the bottom of the dish.
- Add a single layer of ravioli.
- Cover the ravioli with 1/3 of the jar of sauce.
- Top the sauce with mozzarella cheese.
- Continue adding layers until there are 3 layers of ravioli.
- If necessary, add 1/2 cup of hot water to the jar of sauce and shake it up.
- Top this final layer of ravioli with the sauce.
- Microwave for 10 minutes on HIGH.
- Check the internal temperature of the ravioli to determine if it's reached 165 F degrees. If close to 165 F degrees, and microwave for 3-5 additional minutes.
- If the temperature is not close, microwave for 8-10 more minutes, check temperature.
- Add the last layer of mozzarella cheese and heat for an additional 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 1169mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 5gSugar: 15gProtein: 31g
Any nutritional information on justmicrowaveit.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Loved this post? Follow along for more recipes at Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram!