My family loves cheesy potatoes, and you would not believe how easy it is to make Au Gratin Potatoes in the microwave. This post contains affiliate links.
These is a perfect side dish for so many meals like chicken, meatloaf, steak, and more!
What are the ingredients to make Au Gratin Potatoes in the Microwave?
You will need some basic items that you probably already have in the fridge and pantry:
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- shredded cheese
- optional: diced onion
I have onion haters and onion lovers in my family, so I make the onions optional for this dish. When I make it, I just put out a separate bowl of chives and let the onion lovers mix it in, or they also will mix in dried minced onion into their serving.
How do you make Au Gratin Potatoes in the Microwave?
Peel the potatoes and slice them very thinly. Make sure you have a sharp knife, as it makes it so much easier. These are my favorite knives for when I cook.
Place half of the potatoes in an 8 x 8-inch microwavable baking dish.
Mix flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper and sprinkle potatoes with half of the mixture.
Spread half the shredded cheese over the potatoes.
Do the exact same thing with the second layer of potatoes.
Scald the milk in microwave by cooking it on high in 30 second increments, stir after each time, until the milk reaches 180F.
Pour the milk over potatoes.
Dot the top of the potatoes with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
Microwave the baking dish on high for 15 minutes UNCOVERED until the potatoes are tender.
Recipes to Pair with Microwave Au Gratin Potatoes
- Microwave Meatloaf
- The BEST Microwave Chicken Casserole with Ritz Crackers
- How to Cook Chicken Breast in the Microwave
- Microwave Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole
More Side Recipes for Dinner
- Microwave Green Bean Casserole
- Easy Homemade Microwave Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- How to Steam Frozen Broccoli in the Microwave
- How to Cook Frozen Corn on the Cob in the Microwave
- The Secret to AMAZING Mashed Potatoes in the Microwave
Au Gratin Potatoes in the Microwave
- 4 med white potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar, colby, or colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Optional: 2 tablespoons diced onions
- Peel the potatoes and slice them very thinly.
- Place half of the potatoes in a 8 x 8-inch microwavable baking dish.
- Mix flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper and sprinkle potatoes with half of the mixture.
- Spread half the shredded cheese over the potatoes.
- Do the exact same thing with the second layer of potatoes.
- Scald the milk in microwave by cooking it on high in 30 second increments, stir after each time, until the milk reaches 180F.
- Pour the milk over potatoes.
- If you want to add onions, add them now.
- Dot the top of the potatoes with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Microwave the baking dish on high for 15 minutes UNCOVERED until the potatoes are tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 724mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g
Any nutritional information on justmicrowaveit.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Loved this post? Follow along for more recipes at Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram!