Do you ever just want something sweet, but there is nothing around? If you have some butter, marshmallows, and a box of Rice Krispy cereal, you can make yourself a delicious bowl of Rice Krispy Treats in less than five minutes.
How to make Rice Krispy Treats in the Microwave
When I make these in the microwave, I often immediately take the bowl and a spoon and sit down to some Netflix, so I can enjoy my Rice Krispy Treats warm right out of the bowl. If you’d prefer to eat them after they’ve cooled off, then an transfer them to a smaller container to pack the cereal down and let them cool before cutting them into the normal square-shaped treats.
A Surprise Variation of Rice Krispy Treats
I have literally made this treat hundreds of times, and one time by accident I cooked the marshmallows about 30 seconds too long. It ended up being a surprising delicious things!
The extra time caramelized the marshmallows just a bit, so when I mixed them with the cereal, the flavor was a caramel and brown butter flavor. It tasted so wonderful, that I started making the Rice Krispy Treats in the microwave purposely that way.
If you decide to try this yourself, don’t freak out when you pull the bowl out of the microwave. The marshmallows won’t look like the typical melted white marshmallow goo. It will be almost clear color with a hint of yellow or brown. Just give it a good stir and then mix in the cereal. Then, it will look like the normal Rice Krispy Treats you’re used to seeing.
Rice Krispy Treats for Valentine’s Day
My love language often is cooking. I love to make food for people I love, especially by giving them treats and eats. But, that can feel impossible if you only have access to a microwave. But, I’ve got an idea!
Would you like to give your love something sweet for Valentine’s Day? Check out this easy tutorial to turn Rice Krispy Treats to look just like a Hershey’s Kiss wrapped in foil complete with a printable of banners.
More Microwave Desserts
We have got quite a few desserts to share with you. If you like this one, here’s a few more we think you might enjoy:
- Microwave Pecan Pralines
- Microwave Baked Apple
- Banana Bread in a Mug
- Chocolate Mug Cake for Two
- Unicorn Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and microwave on high for about 30 seconds, until completely melted.
- Stir in the marshmallows until they are well coated in the melted butter.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. If the marshmallows are not completely melted, then microwave for an additional 15-30 seconds, and stir again.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in the cereal until completely coated.
- Decide whether to eat immediately from the bowl or transfer to a smaller container and pack the cereal down and allow to cool.
- After cooling, cut into about 4 squares and enjoy!
For a more caramel flavor, allow the marshmallows to cook an extra 30 seconds before adding the cereal.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g