Have you ever made an upside down cake? They are some of my favorites. This Microwave Strawberry Upside Down Cake is incredibly easy to make. The cake batter is made the same way as I showed you how to make a Cake in the Microwave.
Topped with whipped cream, it’s delicious and just like a strawberry shortcake! This post contains affiliate links.
I get a lot of people who email me and are so surprised that you can cook all kinds of things in the microwave.
When people think of microwave desserts, they often think about those little bitty mug cakes. But, there’s so much more you can make, like an entire cake made in the microwave that tastes wonderful.
This particular cake is totally kid approved. I’ve made versions of this a few times, and it’s always a favorite. My family loves it, and it’s always promptly devoured soon after dinner.
What do you need to make this Microwave Strawberry Upside Down Cake?
You’ll need a pound of fresh strawberries, brown sugar, and corn starch. Since this is a single layer cake made in the microwave, I find the Jiffy Golden Cake mix best to use for this one.
This cake is good all by itself and doesn’t really need a topping or frosting, but if you’d like to top it with whipped cream (which is pretty dang delicious with this cake), then you’ll also need heavy whipping cream and white sugar.
How do you make an Upside Down Strawberry Cake in the Microwave?
Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of your baking dish.
Spray the entire baking dish with oil spray. Then, lay the parchment paper down and spray the parchment paper with oil spray.
Wash and slice the strawberries into 1/4-inch thick slices. You can slice them anyway which way you want, lengthwise, widthwise, whatever.
Combine the strawberry slices with brown sugar and corn starch.
Transfer the strawberries to the baking dish and spread them out in a thin layer so that they cover the entire bottom of the baking dish.
Combine the egg, pudding mix, and water with the Jiffy Golden Cake Mix and mix until smooth.
Pour the batter over the strawberries.
Cook the cake on HIGH in the microwave for 6-7 minutes. Check to make sure the batter on top is done. Then, insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake and make sure it comes out clean.
If it’s still not done, cook in 1-minute increments, checking every minute for doneness.
Once it’s ready, place the baking dish in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to chill the strawberries and cake.
When it no longer feels hot, remove it from the fridge. The cake should easily pull away from the sides of the baking dish. If it does not, let it sit for 15-20 more minutes in the fridge.
Place a plate over the baking dish, invert it, and the cake should easily come out.
Make the whipped cream, if you desire. You can slather it on the top like a frosting or you can just add a dollop to each piece as you serve it.
Can I skip the pudding mix in the cake batter?
Yes you can. The pudding mix helps the cake stay moist from being cooked in the microwave. But, I’ve made it without the pudding mix, and it still tastes pretty darn good and moist.
However, it will add some cook time. I found when NOT including the pudding mix, I need to cook my cake for about 9-11 minutes instead of 6-7 minutes. At the 7-minute mark, I will cook it in 1-minute increments, so I don’t end up burning the cake inside.
After each 1-minute cooking, I check with a toothpick inserted into the middle to see if the batter is done.
How do you store leftovers?
You can store the leftovers of this cake in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Can you use other fruits instead of strawberries for this microwave cake?
Yes! I would recommend using other berries like blackberries or raspberries or even blueberries. I would also recommend other fruits thinly sliced such as plums, apricots, or peaches with the peel removed. (You don’t need to remove the peel of apricots).
I wouldn’t recommend apples as they won’t be very tender.
More Microwave Desserts
- How to make Cupcakes in the Microwave
- Lemon Mousse Cups with Microwave Lemon Curd
- Microwave 3-Ingredient Peach Cobbler
- Microwave Pecan Pralines
- 1 lb strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 Jiffy Golden Cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small package of vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz box)
Fresh Whipped Cream
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit an 8 x 8-inch baking dish or round silicone 9-inch cake pan. Make sure it is microwave safe.
- Spray the baking dish with oil spray.
- Place the parchment paper into the baking dish and spray the parchment paper with oil spray.
- Wash and slice strawberries.
- Combine strawberries, brown sugar, and corn starch in a bowl and mix until the corn starch and brown sugar are completely mixed into the strawberries.
- Transfer the strawberries to the bottom of the baking dish and make sure they are spread over the entire bottom in a thin layer.
- Combine the cake batter with the egg, pudding mix, and water until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter over the strawberries.
- Cook in the microwave for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and check top of cake to make sure batter is cooked through.
- Insert a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean when cake is done.
- If there is still batter, cook in 1-minute increments, checking with a toothpick inserted into the cake each time to check if done.
- Once cake is cooked, place it in the microwave for 30 minutes to 1 hour to chill.
- When cake is ready, combine the whipping cream and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add a big dollop of whipped cream or slather it on like frosting.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 447mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 3g
Any nutritional information on justmicrowaveit.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.