Cooking Hot Dogs in the Microwave is one of the quickest ways to get a meal on the table in no time. I make hot dogs for my family or even a quick lunch for just one, pretty frequently by cooking them in the microwave.
What ingredients do you need to make Hot Dogs in the Microwave?
You’ll need two basic ingredients, plus condiments if desired. And, you’ll need paper towels.
- hot dogs
- paper towels
- your favorite condiments
For the buns, you can substitute all kinds of things.
- slice of regular bread folded over like a bun
- Slice two hot dogs in half lengthwise and put them on a hamburger bun. <– This is the way I would get hot dogs at Prince’s Drive In that had been open for 75 years. So good!
- a hunk of baguette that’s been hollowed out <– This was how they served them at food carts in France when I visited Paris years ago, topped with horseradish sauce.
How do you cook Hot Dogs in the Microwave?
Whether I’m cooking a whole package of hot dogs or just one or two, I cook them in the same way.
Cooking 1-2 Hot Dogs in the Microwave
Wrap 1-2 hot dogs in a paper towel together. If you’re just microwaving 1-2 hot dogs, then cook them for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Check after 30 seconds. They should be plumped up and hot. If they still feel cold, then run them again for another 30 seconds.
Cooking a whole package of Hot Dogs in the Microwave
Usually when I cook a whole package, it’s about 8 to 10 hot dogs at once. If I have more hot dogs than that (because I have a big family, we usually make about 16 hot dogs at a time for dinner.), I cook about 10 hot dogs at a time in the microwave.
Wrap 2 hot dogs in each paper towel. Put the hot dogs in a circle, so they are not on top of each other. I like to do this on a microwave-safe plate.
Cook the hot dogs in 1 minute increments until they feel hot and plump. Be careful because if you put them in for longer, they can explode all over the microwave into a big mess. This is why I like to check them in 1-minute increments.
When you unwrap the hot dogs, they should have plumped up and feel hot.
What Condiments can you use for Hot Dogs?
There are so many choices to put on your hot dogs besides just ketchup and mustard. Here’s a few new ideas you might like:
- Chili + Shredded Cheese + Chopped Onions
- Avocado Slices + Crumbled Bacon
- Baked Beans + Potato Chips
- Sauerkraut + Brown Mustard
- Baked Beans + Crumbled Bacon
- BBQ Sauce + Fried Onions
- Buffalo Sauce + Blue Cheese Dressing
- Sauteed Mushrooms & Onions
- Hamburger Dills + Chopped Onions + Chopped Tomatoes
- Sauteed Onions + Mustard
Recipes to go with Microwave Hot Dogs
- Microwave Homemade Potato Chips
- How to make Fresh Corn in the Microwave
- Microwave Baked Potatoes
- Easy Homemade Microwave Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- How to Make Au Gratin Potatoes in the Microwave
1 package of hot dogs
- 1 package of hot dogs
- Wrap 1 to 2 hot dogs in a paper towel until you've wrapped all the hot dogs.
- Place them in a circle on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cook in 1-minute increments, checking after each time to see if they are hot and plumped up.
- When they've plumped up and are hot, they're ready to eat!