Once you get a taste of homemade, made from scratch mac and cheese, it’s hard to go back to enjoying Easy Mac. But, it’s also very simple to make Microwave Mac and Cheese in just a few minutes, even if you don’t think you can cook.
Making a single serving of macaroni and cheese in the microwave takes less than 6 minutes and is incredibly easy. You can add all kinds of things to it – fancy cheese, chicken, bacon, even broccoli. It’s pretty versatile.
I have two secrets to really great mac and cheese. The first one is to use more than one kind of cheese. When I make mac and cheese, I buy sharp cheddar shredded cheese, and I buy colby jack shredded cheese.
I buy the cheese already shredded, but diehard mac and cheese enthusiasts swear that you must have freshly shredded cheese. But, honestly, if you’re living in a dorm or a hotel, you don’t need the added step of shredding your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is just fine.
My other secret is a splash of Worcestershire sauce. It adds a savoriness to mac and cheese that is irresistible. You might not have this on hand in a dorm or hotel room where you only have a microwave, but if you do, I highly suggest you add a splash before mixing up the ingredients.
I have one other secret I forgot to mention. If you have whipping cream or half and half on hand for your coffee or tea, use that instead of milk. You only need a splash or two, and the thickness really adds to the creaminess of the mac and cheese. If you don’t, milk will do a good job, too.
- 1 cup elbow pasta
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon milk (or cream or half and half)
- 1/4 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- a pinch of salt
- Combine the elbow pasta and water in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 4 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Drain excess water and add butter and mix until mostly melted.
- Add half the cheese and mix until it starts to melt.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and heat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Take it out of the microwave, give it one last stir and add additional milk if necessary for extra creaminess.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 312mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 11g