Once you get a taste of homemade, made from scratch mac and cheese, it’s hard to go back to enjoying Easy Mac. But, surprisingly, you can make a great-tasting homemade Microwave Mac and Cheese in just a few minutes, even if you don’t think you can cook.
You can make homemade macaroni and cheese in the microwave, and in less than six minutes, you can be watching Netflix and eating.
What’s the Secret to making amazing Macaroni and Cheese?
I have three secrets to making microwave mac and cheese into a perfect homemade comfort food.
The first secret is to use more than one kind of cheese. When I make mac and cheese, I use sharp cheddar and colby jack cheeses.
I buy the cheese already shredded. I know, I know — diehard mac and cheese enthusiasts swear that you must have freshly shredded cheese. But, honestly, if you’re living in a dorm, hotel, or your kitchen isn’t working, you don’t need the added step of shredding your own cheese. Buying shredded cheese is just fine.
Another secret is a splash of Worcestershire sauce. It adds a savoriness to mac and cheese that is irresistible. You might not have this on hand if all you have is a microwave for cooking, but if you do, I highly suggest you add a splash before mixing up the ingredients. This is also a good thing to have on hand to instantly add savoriness to many things. It’s great on veggies or meat, too.
My last secret is replacing milk with whipping cream or half and half. If you happen to have some on hand for your coffee or tea, use it instead of milk. You only need a splash or two, and the creaminess and thickness really add to the creaminess of the mac and cheese. If you don’t have any, don’t feel like you need to go out and buy it because milk will do a fine job, too.
What can you add to Microwave Mac and Cheese?
You can add all kinds of things to microwave mac and cheese. It’s pretty versatile. I would recommend heating this ingredient up separately, and then adding it together after the macaroni and cheese is already made.
- fancy cheese like meunster, gruyere, swiss
- broccoli – frozen broccoli is perfect
More Comfort Food Recipes You’ll Love
- Microwave Baked Potatoes
- Single Serving Cheddar Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Microwave Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole
This microwave mac and cheese is creamy and delicious and ready in less than 5 minutes.
- 1 cup elbow pasta
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon milk (or cream or half and half)
- 1/4 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- a pinch of salt
- Combine the elbow pasta and water in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 4 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Drain excess water and add butter and mix until mostly melted.
- Add half the cheese and mix until it starts to melt.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and heat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Take it out of the microwave, give it one last stir and add additional milk if necessary for extra creaminess.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 312mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g