If you love getting big ol’ burritos as places like Freebirds and Chipotle, you know how expensive they can get — especially if you like premium ingredients like steak or guacamole. This is my fool proof method for making a delicious Easy Steak Burrito when all you’ve got is a microwave.
These steak burritos are simple to put together with ingredients you can heat right up in the microwave — even the steak! You can make about 4-5 of these big burritos and freeze them for a month or two, so you have ready to eat meals whenever you need!
How to Make Steak Burritos
- I start with Knorr’s Mexican or Taco flavor rice. It cooks in the microwave for about 10 minutes with 2 cups of water.
- If you like veggies in your burrito, you can also steam some frozen veggies like peppers and onions in the microwave for about 5-6 minutes.
- Then, heat the beans for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes in the microwave.
- Next, heat up the frozen precooked steak for about 2 minutes.
- Lastly, heat up the large size tortillas for 1 minute.
- Then, pull out cheese and salsa from the fridge and slice an avocado (or pull out guacamole from the fridge) while all that is cooking.
- To make them ahead lay out 5 sheets of foil and put a tortilla on each one. Then, just start layering ingredients til they are ready to be rolled up.
There is no wrong way to layer a burrito. I find starting with rice or beans gives it more stability, but you can do whatever you want.
Assembly Line Burrito Making
If you are in a dorm room or a hotel kitchenette and you are short on bowls, I recommend just using one bowl to heat everything in order as you make the burritos. So you would do this:
- First heat your tortillas and then lay 5 of them out on 5 pieces of foil.
- Cook the rice for 10 minutes and then use it all up as the first layer in all 5 burritos.
- Clean the bowl and pour in the canned beans and heat for 2 minutes.
- Layer the beans on all the burritos.
- Lastly, clean the bowl a last time and heat up the frozen fajita steak for 2 minutes and layer it.
- Everything else is straight from the fridge – cheese, avocado, salsa, etc. Layer those assembly line style and wrap up all the burritos.
This method will get you about 5 burritos, which you can wrap in wax paper or foil and refrigerate or freeze for later. Frozen burritos can last 1-2 months in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat a frozen one, just heat it for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes (depending on microwave wattage) and you’ve got lunch or dinner!
Favorite Easy Steak Burrito Ingredients
- Frozen Veggies
- Avocado / Guacamole
- Dried Mince Roasted Garlic
You can add so many other ingredients like onions, cut tomatoes, and corn according to what you like.
How to Fold a Giant Burrito
Once you pile all your ingredients, you’ll wonder if you can fit it all in the tortilla. Surprisingly, you can fit a lot more than you think. I grab the two sides and bring them together and roll the tortilla back and forth to pile all the ingredients together even more, then fold those sides together and they create the top and bottom. Next, fold the front and back sides together. Then, lay it with the closed seam down and roll into a piece of foil.
You can make your burritos assembly line style, so that you have 4-5 done at once.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Microwave Refried Beans into Nachos
- Microwave Migas in a Mug
- Easy Enchilada Bowl in the Microwave
Skip Chipotle and make your own easy steak burrito. I love making this meal because you can make 4-5 meals at the same time and freeze or refrigerate them for the rest of the week.
- 5 12-inch flour tortillas
- 1 package Knorr Taco Rice
- 6 oz. precooked frozen beef fajita meat
- 1 15 oz can pinto, refried, or black beans
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 sliced avocado or 1/2 cup guacamole
- Heat the canned beans for 1 1/2 minutes in microwave.
- Make the Knorr rice according to package for microwave (about 10 minutes).
- Heat the meat strips of your choice in microwave according to package.
- Heat the tortillas for 1 minute in the microwave.
- Slice of avocado, if desired.
- Lay out tortilla and layer with beans, rice, meat, avocado, salsa, and whatever else you like.
- Fold and wrap in foil.
There are so many ways to make these burritos. You can even heat up frozen veggies like peppers, onions, corn, and more.
Serving Size:1 burrito
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 622Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 766mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 17gSugar: 2gProtein: 30g